svMotion is fair simple process and nothing much complex is involved in that. Here are the step by step breakdown of what happens in background of svMotion process:
- The virtual machine working directory is copied by VPXA to the destination datastore.
- A “shadow” virtual machine is started on the destination datastore using the copied files. The “shadow” virtual machine idles, waiting for the copying of the virtual machine disk file(s) to complete.
- Storage vMotion enables the Storage vMotion Mirror driver to mirror writes of already copied blocks to the destination.
- In a single pass, a copy of the virtual machine disk file(s) is completed to the target datastore while mirroring I/O.
- Storage vMotion invokes a Fast Suspend and Resume of the virtual machine (similar to vMotion) to transfer the running virtual machine over to the idling shadow virtual machine.
- After the Fast Suspend and Resume completes, the old home directory and virtual machine disk files are deleted from the source datastore.